If you want to visit both the Kaziranga National Park and tour the Tawang region of Arunachal Pradesh but have just about 8 days to spare, this Tawang and Kaziranga itinerary will be a good fit for you. This Kaziranga And Tawang In 8 Days is a great introduction to both these otherwise very different places.
The day-wise plan for this Kaziranga Tawang tour of 8 days that we will follow will be as follows:
- Day 1: Guwahati To Kaziranga National Park
- Day 2: Kaziranga National Park jungle Safaris [Jeep Safari and Elephant Safari]
- Day 3: Kaziranga National Park To Bomdila/Dirang
- Day 4: Bomdila/Dirang To Tawang
- Day 5: Local travel in and around Tawang
- Day 6: Tawang – BumLa – Shungestar Lake – Tawang
- Day 7: Tawang To Dirang/Dirang
- Day 8: Dirang/Bomdila To Guwahati
Day 1: Guwahati To Kaziranga National Park
The tour begins at the Guwahati airport where you will be greeted and received by North East Explorers representative. On the way, enjoy scenic views of Assam countryside, paddy fields, and perfectly manicured tea gardens as you drive through the plains of Assam dotted by random, small towns all along, to the Kaziranga National Park. If you land early in the morning, you can go for Kaziranga Jeep Safari else, evening free to rest and relax.
Day 2: Kaziranga Jungle safaris – Jeep Safari and Elephant Safari
Wake-up early and head to the elephant safari barding-point. You will be picked up from your stay well ahead of the safari start time. Once on the back of the elephant, enjoy watching the one-horned Indian rhinos from up close. And not just the rhinos, you will get ample opportunities to spot different types of deers, water buffaloes, and a variety of native and migratory birds, among others.
After a quick rest during the day, head out again for a jeep safari deep into the National Park. A jeep safari is a really interesting way to explore and feel the jungle as it takes you much deeper inside the woods as compared to the elephant safari. Going deeper means sighting more animals, even some of the most elusive ones.
In the evening, head to the Kaziranga Orchid Park to enjoy some cultural performances (depending upon the park’s schedule).
Day 3: Kaziranga to Bomdila/Dirang
We enter Arunachal Pradesh today. The drive will take you from the plains of Assam to the high mountains of Arunachal Pradesh. Take multiple photo breaks on the way, the views outside will compel you to! Lush green vegetation, high mountains, and interesting snaking roads will keep you company all through your journey today. Reach by late evening and stay at the beautiful Bomdila Monastery or at a gorgeously-located Monpa homestay in Dirang (if staying in Dirang) for the night.
Day 4: Bomdila/Dirang To Tawang
We start for Tawang today and en-route stop at Nyukmadung war memorial and pay our respect to the fallen soldiers there. Our next stop will be at the mighty Se-la (high-altitude pass) and soak in the gorgeous views of the surroundings. The breathtaking views up to the Se la itself make up for the day, you will simply not want it to end.
At Se-la, we visit & pay our respect at the Tawang war-memorial. Then, we warm ourselves with some piping-hot tea at the army canteen before resuming our journey from Se la to Tawang. But, not before stopping for a small stroll by the lovely Sela lake (remains frozen in winters and much after that).
Next, we stop at the Nuranang waterfall or the Jang falls, as it is also known. The sheer grandness of the waterfall is sure to make your jaws drop. By evening, we reach our lovely homestay in Tawang where more fun awaits 🙂
Day 5: Tawang Local Sightseeing: Must visit places
Today is a relaxed day so, start your day at leisure. There are quite a few places to visit in Tawang which you will be exploring today. We begin our day at the Tawang monastery, located not very far from our homestay. We explore the place at our own pace. Stop and talk to the monks staying there, take in the views of the town from the monastery, and much more. Then, from there, we head to the Urgeling monastery, the birthplace of the 6th Dalai Lama and the Ani Gompa (time permitting). In the evening, we visit the Tawang War Memorial and experience the light and sound show there.
Day 6: Tawang To Bum La and Sungester Lake
Today is going to be a long day over bumpy roads for the most part of it. On the bright side, today is also going to be one of the most exciting days of your Tawang trip. We start early today to explore the beautiful lakes and valleys at the higher reaches of the region. On our way to our first stop, the Pankang Teng Tso, we drive through what was once a battlefield. The scars of the war can still be seen all around.
We then proceed to the India – China border at Bum La, which is at an altitude of about 5000 mts above MSL! We spend some time there before starting our return journey to Tawang. Albeit, with a very interesting detour. We visit the Sungester Lake, also known as the Madhuri lake of Koyla (the Bollywood movie) fame, and spend some time there, impressed by the sheer size of the towering mountains surrounding the place. Not to mention the beauty of this unique lake. By evening, head back to Tawang.
Day 7: Tawang To Dirang/Bomdila
Today we start our return journey back to the plains of Assam. We re-trace back the route we had taken while going up, to Tawang. Enjoy the scenery outside and take multiple photo stops as you please. By evening, reach your homestay in Dirang/Bomdila.
Day 8: Dirang/Bomdila To Guwahati
We wake-up early today so that we can explore the monastery once again (if staying at the Bomdila monastery), this time while the monks are busy praying. After a hearty breakfast, we start our return journey, back to Guwahati which marks the end of this wonderful trip.
- All permits for Indian Nationals (except Bum-La permit) as required.
- All Toll Charges.
- A dedicated vehicle with a driver cum guide for the entire trip.
- 1 x Jeep Safari.
- 1 x Elephant Safari.
- Accommodation for the entire tour period.
- Local guide wherever required.
- Breakfast on all mornings from Day 2 till last day’s check-out.
- Any personal/sanitary/medical expenses.
- Any unplanned extension in the number of days staying.
- Food and snacks.
- Fee for the Bum La leg (costs between Rs.5000-5500 per vehicle & permits).
- PAP Fee for non-Indian Passport Holders.
- Parking Fee.
- Anything that is not mentioned in the inclusions section above.
- 5% GST.
Cancellation & Refund
- 50% cancellation charge until 45 days before the start of the trip.
- In case we cancel the trip for any unavoidable reason, we will refund 100% of the payment made to us. We will not be liable to pay any expenses the guest might have incurred (train tickets, flight tickets, etc.) to reach the starting point of the trip, Guwahati airport in this case.
- Prices are subject to change without prior notice, based upon the costing of variables of the trip logistics.
- Any govt. fee or Tax paid to us is non-refundable
**Elephant safari is allotted by the Kaziranga National Park authorities, purely on an availability basis.
BOOK THIS TOUR