One week is a great time to go on a trip to Nameri and Tawang in Arunachal Pradesh. The first leg of this Nameri Tawang tour takes you from the city of Guwahati to the Nameri National Park and its lush green and deep woods, on the banks of the mighty Jia Bhoreli river, not far from Bhalukpong. Many species of birds and animals can be found in the Nameri National park, some native while some who migrate from thousands of kilometers away, every year. From there, you then enter Arunachal Pradesh as this Tawang – Nameri tour starts ascending into a totally different part of North East India. To the land of the tribes.
Nameri and Tawang Tour Plan
- Day 1 – Guwahati – Nameri
- Day 2 – Nameri – Dirang
- Day 3 – Dirang – Tawang
- Day 4 – Tawang Tour
- Day 5 – Tawang – PT Tso – Madhuri lake – Bumla
- Day 6 – Tawang – Bomdila Monastery
- Day 7 – Bomdila – Guwahati
Day 1 – Guwahati To Nameri
Day 2 – Nameri To Dirang
We start from the Nameri in the morning after you have had a peaceful and fresh morning walk in the jungle. Drive along the Kameng river as you leave the plains of Assam and start ascending the mountains of Arunachal Pradesh via Bhalukpong. Enjoy the beautiful drive. Halt at a lovely little town Dirang, overlooking two mountain rivers, for the night.
Day 3 – Local Tawang Tour: Things to see in Tawang
We start our day by visiting the largest monastery in the world, the Tawang monastery. We explore the place at our own pace before heading to the Urgeling monastery, the birthplace of the 6th Dalai Lama and the Ani Gompa. In the evening, we visit the war memorial and experience the light and sound show there.
Day 4 – Dirang To Tawang
Day 5 – Tawang To PT Tso To Madhuri lake To Bum la
We start early today to explore the beautiful lakes and valleys at the higher reaches of the region. On our way to our first stop, the Penga Teng Tso, we drive through what was once the battlefield. The scars of the war can be seen scattered all around. From there we head to the uniquely beautiful Sungester Lake, also known as the Madhuri lake of Koyla (the Bollywood movie) fame. Finally, we head towards the India-China border at Bum-la and spend some time at the border before starting our return journey to Tawang.
Day 6 – Tawang To Bomdila
We drive down to the Buddhist town of Dirang/Bomdilla today, taking the same road we took on our way up to Tawang. Only this time we will stay at a unique and special place for the night instead of staying at the same homestay (if staying in Bomdila). By evening, we reach Bomdilla and stay in the monastery for the night, of course after exploring it.
Day 7 – Bomdila To Guwahati
We wake up early today to explore the monastery once again, this time while the monks are busy praying. After a hearty breakfast at the monastery, we start our return journey back to Guwahati which marks the end of this wonderful trip.
The Inclusions and Exclusions for this trip to Nameri National Park and the Tawang tour are as follows:
- A dedicated vehicle with a driver cum guide for the entire stay.
- Accommodation for all nights on a twin-sharing basis in local homestays/monastery/hotel.
- Breakfast starting day 2 till the last day.
- Local guide wherever required.
- All toll charges as required.
- Inner Line Permit [Indian Citizens]
- Any personal/sanitary/medical expenses.
- Any unplanned extension in the number of days stay.
- Food and snacks.
- Parking & entry fee anywhere.
- Bum La Permit and vehicle charges. (To be paid in cash to our representative)
- PAP/RAP for foreign nationals
- Anything that is not mentioned in the ‘inclusions’ section.
- 5% GST.